Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It's Hot in Tucson - My Fermentation Cabinet

The first four brews I did were in the months of January through March. Even in Tucson, AZ, the weather is cool. While fermenting, the house was kept at 70 degrees, and there was no need to cool the fermenting buckets separately. The fifth brew was planned for May, and I knew I wasn't going to keep the house at 70 degrees through the summer (partially because it's expensive, partially because my wife can't stand less than 75 degrees). As result, I needed a cool place for fermentation. I found some great blogs on making fermentation cabinets, and ending up designing my own. Here is the stages I went through:

2x2 Frame

Stained and put on 3" casters. I wanted it mobile.

Galvanized steel sheets stapled on interior of frame, insulation fitted around entire interior.

Boxed out for compressor. Compressor taken from mini fridge, very carefully!

The work zone.

 Everything but the top put on (1x8 panels stained to match).

In use! Maintaining a wonderful 68 degrees.

By all means, if you have any questions on the construction, send them my way. I loved designing this thing, and would love to assist in you creating yours. I use a Johnson Controls Temperature control to turn the compressor on and off, and it works beautifully. Part number:  A419ABG-3C. It cost me $70. I bought the mini fridge I used through craigslist ($40) and here are couple pictures of it, including the salvage:

The fridge.


                                     After I got done with it.                 The usable components.

I admit I am quite proud of my fermentation cabinet. It looks great and works great too. Overall I spent more than I would have if I bought a chest freezer and the same Johnson Controls temp controller, but it was a fun project none the less. It's something to take into consideration if you're looking into building your own though.


4 comments:

  1. You did a great job and showed me up. That looks professional. Are you going to put any protective layer on the bottom? I made the mistake of not doing that and the first blow-off made a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff! The bottom is galvanized steel, wrapped around a piece of plywood. I also caulked the edges. Hopefully that's enough for any violent fermentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I'm about to build version 2.0 as I have now moved into a house with a garage. I'm going to build a 2 carboy version that is part of a larger workbench. I'm still trying to figure out what to line the inside with. So that helps.

      Also you should add a follow button or way to subscribe to your blog

      Delete
    2. Sweet. I lined the sides with insulation on the inside of the galvanized steel. Conveniently it had an aluminum side which matched the steel base close enough so I just left it. The base has insulation panels underneath between the frame slats, as well as the top. Hopefully it all holds up well.

      Subscription button added. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete